Thursday, April 16, 2015

Robert H. Farnsworth - my hero in urology

At the Gala Dinner of the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting on 13 April 2015, a special man was the recipient of the Society Medal (USANZ Medal). 

Robert Farnsworth's achievements are well known within my profession.  

The next few tweets sum up my thoughts






I was in my final year of urology training when I worked for Bob. Just some of the things that I recalled from my time with him included

1. treating everybody with equal kindness and respect, whether a janitor or internationally acclaimed professor
2. never ever making me feel bad when there was something that I could have done better
3. always having time for me, even for what in hindsight were trivial matters (even if this meant him going home later than planned)

When I returned from additional training abroad, I entered independent practice and there were a number of occasions that I would call him for clinical advice. Even though I was now his competitor, he continued to be so willing to share his wisdom.

It was a proud moment for all of us who have had the privelege of training under him to see him awarded the USANZ medal.  He's the closest you get to a Mr Holland (as per the movie Mr Holland's Opus) that would be possible in the Sydney urology scence. 



No comments:

Post a Comment